The National 5 Graphic Communication Course enables learners to develop skills in graphic communication techniques, including the use of equipment, graphics materials and software. Learners extend and apply knowledge and understanding of graphic communication standards, protocols and conventions, and develop an understanding of the impact of graphic communication technologies on our environment and society.
Mandatory Units are:
- 2D Graphic Communication
This Unit helps learners develop their creativity and skills within a 2D graphic communication context. It will allow learners to initiate, develop and communicate ideas using graphic techniques in straightforward and familiar contexts. In addition, the Unit allows learners to develop their skills in some less familiar or new contexts. Learners will develop 2D graphic spatial awareness.
- 3D and Pictorial Graphic Communication
This Unit helps learners develop their creativity and skills within a 3D and pictorial graphic communication context. Again, it will allow learners to initiate, develop and communicate ideas using graphic techniques in straightforward and familiar contexts. In addition, the Unit allows learners to develop their skills in some less familiar or new contexts. Learners will develop 3D graphic spatial awareness.
On Successful completion of these units the pupils will complete the course assessment which is made up of the following:
Course assessment structure
Component 1 — question paper 60 marks
The question paper will give learners an opportunity to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and understanding relating to:
• computer-aided design techniques
• the use of graphic items in specific situations
• the advantages and disadvantages of manual and electronic methods
• spatial awareness — by responding to and/or interpreting given sketches and drawings
• drawing standards, protocols and conventions
• the use of colours, layout and presentation techniques
• graphic communication as it impacts on our environment and society
Component 2 — assignment 60 marks
The assignment will give the learners an opportunity to:
• Demonstrate graphic design skills and creativity.
• Use graphic communication technologies.
• Produce preliminary, production and promotional graphic items in response to a brief.
• Use illustration techniques to create graphics with relevant visual impact.
• Produce 2D and 3D production drawings1 , applying appropriate standards, protocols and conventions; including third angle projection, dimensioning, line types and the use of scale.
• Produce promotional publications with relevant visual impact that are planned and designed to meet a market and purpose in terms of content and style.
• Review and evaluate their progress, giving justification for the choice of graphic items and the graphic communication techniques employed.
Please find below the link for the Careers in Graphic Communication Poster